Friday, April 26, 2013

Kia ora

Kia ora New Zealand! I made it!! One lovely, long restful flight later, here I am! Chilling in early-morning Auckland, watching the sun rise and waiting for the city to wake-up. I hade some lovely, unexpectedly familiar company (hii Devon Jackson) on the flight over sitting literally right next to me - it's a small world after all. Today I visited a coffee shop where I worked on my second year engineering application (geogeogeogeooooo), read my book in a lovely cemetery and visited the local Reading Room I stumbled upon, where some kind ladies happily baby-sat my ridiculously-heavy luggage so I could become mobile and explore Auckland! It was a gorgeous day, and I made the most of it, walking all over downtown and seeing the big-pointy-tower, the Viaduct harbour, a park with beautiful, old trees, and more! I then was able to check into my hostel, un-plane-pack my bags, and go forage for dinner (even though it's raining while being sunny for the second, spontaneous time today)! Hostel life is super quiet today, and I'm suffering from need of someone to pretend they don't appreciate my puns, but I am actually quite enjoying the chance to relax. Auckland is a lovely city, with a well-kept, friendly atmosphere and huge diversity of people. Strangest thing to date is still the cars going on the wrong side of the road, and me, as a pedestrian, having to constantly and consciously remind myself to look right, then left before crossing the road - thank goodness I'm not driving anything! Also, the pedestrian melee crossings with accompanying sounds are quite entertaining! After dinner, I took another walk down to the harbour, and found it quite delightful in the evening! Everything was incredibly well put together, and there were many neat architectural twists. I'm so glad I'm here experiencing NZ and I'm super excited to finally be off on my 'big adventure!' Time for the kiwi to go eat a kiwi in kiwiland!

Big-pointy-thing, okayyy, also known as the SkyTower.

A ship-shape ship!

I know you might be confused, I promise this is just one tree... not tree!

Bridge at the harbour. #engineering


 P.S. I would love comments, on my adventures and blog, any travel destination suggestions, and y'all can guess how much I would appreciate any puns sent my way:)

2 comments:

  1. Go get fish and chips somewhere in countryside. You won't regret it. :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie! It looks like you're off to a great start, I hope your luck keeps up and you have a safe journey! I can't wait for more updates!

    ReplyDelete