Sunday, June 9, 2013

Local life


Another week done! Rather than thinking 'Winter is coming,' I think I'm safe to say it's here now. It's been a chilly, rainy week; but there has been a bit of beautiful sun! Other than that, it's been pretty quiet. My badminton colleagues and I won our games (WAHOO!), I finished another book, saw the finale of MKR (My Kitchen Rules - a popular NZ cooking show) and enjoyed New Zealand life.  I met some more young people living and working in Gisborne, celebrated a birthday with them, and went 'dancing in the dark.' That entails turning up some great, funky music in the local theatre/'poverty bay club,' turning out the lights, and dancing happily with a few others crazy enough to join us - lots of fun! I also headed out to the local silver screen (yes, Gisborne has not only one, but three!) to se Gatsby. The next day my local 'Aunti' brought be out to the netball courts. The what? Netball is one of New Zealand's favourite sports. Played almost only by females it looks a bit like basketball, but without the backboard, dribbling, and with a few other rules. A very fast-paced game, I was impressed by the skills of the locals of all ages who filled 14 netball courts on the chilly Saturday morning. Saturday night the all-blacks were played France in Auckland and I watched as they (of course), won. Sunday I wandered the beach again (the waves change and I love how the sea looks different every time I SEA it!), and was treated by a large seal gracelessly plopping around  on some rocks at the end,  a cool shell, and a great view from the top of the bluff. Tonight I was treated to a kiwi special - pavlova!! A meringue-like dish, we had it with kiwis and fresh cream - yummmmiee, and a great end to  a great week.
Local netball heros!
 
 Wonder of the week: the 'kiwi language.' Ahh I love it! Bro, I'll meet you this avro, ai? Sweet as! Far out! Lets eat veges, my favourite is collie. Awww, but I wanted chips, fizzies (L&P) and hokey pokey ice cream! Next week I'll try to update on what I actually do 8-5.
 
Clearly I was there. HAKA!

No comments:

Post a Comment